The time for Divine Worship at New Utrecht Reformed Church is now every Sunday, 11:15 a.m. at the Parish House.
When New Utrecht Reformed Church returned to in person worship on September 13, 2020, Mary Shields read aloud her poem about the loss of our beloved pastor, Rev. E.J. Emerson. We want to share Mary’s poem with the community and with the greater church. Please see the poem below.
E.J. had the soul of a poet, so it is most fitting for her to be remembered in poetry.
-- Consistory and Congregation of New Utrecht Reformed Church
NURC’s return to in-person worship is this Sunday, September 13 at 11:15 a.m. in the Parish House. Please see the attached PDF below.
Messages from Guest Ministers:
As God’s community continues to experience the loss of Rev. E.J., guest ministers are preparing Messages to share with and support God’s faithful. We are grateful for the love that comes through these words. Please listen for God’s wisdom, as we worship together.
The Consistory of New Utrecht Reformed Church mourns the passing of our Pastor, Rev. EJ Emerson. She lived in the light of God’s word.
With great sadness, we at New Utrecht Reformed Church report that our beloved pastor, Rev. EJ Emerson, died August 7, 2020, in hospital. Rev. EJ touched so many lives. She was a woman of great faith and we are certain that she is in the hands of the Lord now. Please pray for her family, her friends and her church community as we remember her life and her goodness.
Vice President of Consistory
A Note from Pastor EJ
NURC leadership has come together, prayerfully, to talk about returning safely to in-person worship, in this time of Covid 19. Because the situation is still fluid, there is no date set as yet for opening. The welfare of the congregation and the community is important. There will be procedures in place once Sunday Service resumes. Updates will be on the website.
Thank you for your faithfulness and may you continue to feel God’s love in your life.
With loving prayers from Consistory and Pastor
Blessings to you as you visit our website to learn more about New Utrecht Reformed, especially during this challenging time. Because we are all staying home as wisely instructed by officials, the church building is not being used for public worship until it is once again safe to gather together in person. In the prayerful hope that this will encourage and bless you, my weekly sermon will be posted on the website for all to share.
As the prophet Isaiah says, God tells each and every one of us: “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”
Rev. E.J. Emerson’s sermons and bulletins:
- THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND (Mar. 22, 2020)
- RESURRECTION BEFORE EASTER? (Mar. 29, 2020)
- CELEBRATIONS (Apr. 5, 2020)
- Maundy Thursday with Communion (Apr. 9, 2020)
- Good Friday Tenebrae Service (Apr. 10, 2020)
- Easter Sunday Service at home (Apr. 12, 2020)
- WHY ARE YOU WEEPING? (Apr. 12, 2020)
- Second Sunday of Easter (Apr. 19, 2020)
- OUR INHERITANCE (Apr. 19, 2020)
- Third Sunday of Easter (Apr. 26, 2020)
- BREAKING BREAD (Apr. 26, 2020)
- Fourth Sunday of Easter (May 3, 2020)
- OUR SHEPHERD (May 3, 2020)
- Fifth Sunday of Easter (May 10, 2020)
- OUR ROCK AND REDEEMER (May 10, 2020)
- Sixth Sunday of Easter (May 17, 2020)
- HIS STEADFAST LOVE (May 17, 2020)
- Seventh Sunday of Easter (May 24, 2020)
- JUBILANT WITH JOY (May 24, 2020)
- Pentecost (May 31, 2020)
- BEWILDERED, AMAZED AND ASTONISHED (May 31, 2020)
- Second Sunday of Pentecost (June 7, 2020)
- DOMINION (June 7, 2020)
- Third Sunday of Pentecost (June 14, 2020)
- PLENTIFUL (June 14, 2020)
- Fourth Sunday of Pentecost (June 21, 2020)
- OUR FATHER (June 21, 2020)
- Fifth Sunday of Pentecost (June 28, 2020)
- THE LORD WILL PROVIDE (June 28, 2020)
- Sixth Sunday of Pentecost (July 5, 2020)
- WILL YOU GO WITH THIS MAN? (July 5, 2020)
- Seventh Sunday of Pentecost (July 12, 2020)
- SUCCESSFUL SOWING (July 12, 2020)
- Eighth Sunday of Pentecost (July 19, 2020)
- THE HOUSE OF GOD (July 19, 2020)
- Ninth Sunday of Pentecost (July 26, 2020)
- WISDOM (July 26, 2020)
- Tenth Sunday of Pentecost (Aug. 2, 2020)
- GENEROSITY (Aug. 2, 2020)
The Thrift Sale and other meetings and activities at the Church have been postponed. Both the March 28 concert and the April 1 FHNU Annual General Meeting have been postponed with reschedule dates to be announced.
Soprano Tonna Miller-Valles, who has performed at major American opera houses and in Broadway musicals, will give a concert on Saturday, March 28, at 7:30 p.m. in the Parish House of the New Utrecht Reformed Church, 18th Avenue and 84th Street in Bensonhurst. Student soprano Diana Marie Paunetto will also perform. The event is sponsored by the Friends of Historic New Utrecht and will be free to the public.
Author and local historian, Henry Stewart, will speak about his new book “How Bay Ridge Became Bay Ridge” in a lecture on Thursday evening, March 12, 2020, at 7:30 p.m. in the Parish House of the New Utrecht Reformed Church, 18th Avenue and 84th Street in Bensonhurst. The event, sponsored by the Friends of Historic New Utrecht, is free to the public.